Thursday, December 27, 2007

thinking of a skyline

The radio caster on the BBC woke me with the news that Paris might soon rise.

Ten years ago - a few days later - a pedestrian bridge crossing the Seine was where I planted my feet to usher in the New Year - see the fireworks reflect in the river and on the gray stoned buildings. I was met by an architect and his family. We shared Champagne and I was told how the original builders of the city had mapped out the streets and the structures according to sun rise and the sun set. Even on the best days - when Paris' sky is the colored by fog - the reflection and refraction of light creates a crispness a clarity to the city.

Benjamin would you mourn with me the rupture of architecture or think it part of progress?

Are there any possibilities for a city remain a living museum? Am I selfish in wanting that?

No comments: